Sunday, February 22, 2009

Writer's Workshop

Tayson's favorite subject in school is Writer's Workshop.  Just recently he finished his 3rd set of high frequency words flash-cards so his teacher sent home a different activity to do each week at home.  Tayson's been doing these in school, but I never realized how much I would enjoy doing this with him and watching his creative juices flowing.  
First:  He draws a picture
Second:  Writes a story (around 5 sentences) about the picture containing: beginning, middle and an end all on his own spelling the best he can
Third:  We go through the story together and Correct spelling and punctuation.
Fourth:  He colors his picture.
I couldn't believe how well he did and how impressed I was by his spelling.  At one point during his story he looked up at me and asked why I was smiling so big and I just told him how pleased I was with how well he was doing and I couldn't help but smile.
He wrote a lot faster than I realized he could and he didn't have a hard time at all spelling his high-frequency words.  I'm so impressed with how much he has learned so far in Kindergarten and I'm looking forward to doing these stories each week.

3 comments:

Jerry and Maaret said...

sooo cute! Maggie does the same thing and i love it!

Jerry and Maaret said...

sooo cute! Maggie does the same thing and i love it!

Anonymous said...

You have got one smart little guy and what a wonderful smile he has.