Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Thanksgiving morning started out with the Turkey Bowl. I look forward to this every year because it's really the only chance I get to play football during the year. We played with a lot of people from the Okinawan Military District. It was a gorgeous day. Jay was gone on TDY (temporary deployment) so it was the the kiddos and me. We missed him very much. The holidays just are not the same without him. The first play I was able to tag the receiver (we were playing 2 hand touch) and got a shoulder to the cheekbone. I got a little beat up during the game but loved every bit of it. It made me feel like a kid again getting so many bumps and bruises but I can definitely tell I don't heal as fast as I used to.
The night before I was taking Tatum up to bed. She was asleep in my arms and I slipped on a nerf gun at the bottom of the steps (Tayson got in some huge trouble for that). I landed really hard on the stairs. I sacrificed myself to save Tatum and got a huge bruise that was a big lump for several days on my thigh, bruised my elbow and a big lump and bruise on my other shin. These battle wounds didn't keep me from playing football but when I fell trying to block the ball, I could've cried. I didn't (had to be tough) but ouch!!!!! We had the old people (adults with kids) and the kids play against the missionaries and youth. We kicked some butt. The little kids were great at rushing the quarterback. I guess 5-7/8 yr olds are pretty intimidating. They were so antsy it was hard for them to count to 5 Mississippi before rushing in.

After the game we headed home to get food ready. I made 2 sweet potato pies, a cherry pie, watergate salad, creamed corn and a veggie tray to take to the dinner. It was the first time I've made my own pie crust and it turned out really good.

The kids and I were able to spend Thanksgiving with our great friends the Cox Family and Jeanne Downing and her girls (her husband was TDY as well). They feel like family to us, so it was a very relaxing and enjoyable day. Sadly I didn't get too many pictures but I did get one of the beautiful table setting.
Tatum was the only one who wore a dress to dinner. She really wanted to get dressed-up for the special dinner. What a cutie and such a girl. I love it.


No comments: